Waite Park Amphitheater Park Coming Soon!
The City of Waite Park wanted to take an opportunity to share some information about the Amphitheater Park Project that began construction Spring of 2019 and will be completed in May of 2020. The City is looking to preserve a part of its granite history by transforming an old abandoned quarry site into a unique park with an outdoor entertainment venue that will open a wide variety of opportunities for the community to enjoy.
Where is the site located?
The property is located on the former Transformer Quarry site that is at the corner of Parkway Drive and 17th Avenue South. It is just north of the City’s public works facility. The land was donated to the City of Waite Park by Martin Marietta.
- Ideally located in Central MN and part of its rich granite mining history.
- Formerly known as Transformer Quarry owned by Martin Marietta until recently donated to City.
- Area encompasses approximately 25 acres.
- Close proximity to Highway 23, Interstate 94 and County Road 137.
- Less than a half-mile from Quarry Park Nature Preserve~ a 500-acre park recognized by Travel Magazine for having one of the nation’s best swimming holes that attracts over 145,000 visitors per year!
- Site will be connected by two regional trail systems including the future Lake Wobegon Trail and the future Glacial Lakes Trail connecting the site to hundreds of miles of future trails.
- Surrounded mostly by future commercial and existing industrial properties, making the site a perfect outdoor entertainment venue.
What is the City building?
The City will be constructing a multi-use outdoor park facility that will hold approximately 5,000 seats. Included on this site is an outdoor amphitheater that is designed to hold a variety of both national and local events from music, to comedy, to movies in the park, to a host of many other types of entertainment. We have intentionally designed this space with as much flexibility as possible to allow us the ability to attract a variety of things. In addition, there are walking trails on the South side of the facility that will allow visitors to see the natural beauty of the site.
Here are the latest renderings of the entire project as of August 2019:
Here are some pictures taken during August and September 2019 - the walls are going up!!!
The site is really starting to take shape! Here are some construction photos taken during the month of July 2019:
Below are various pictures of the footings being poured for the Amphitheater stage area.
A lot of excavation work had to be completed to prep the site for construction!
What does the project cost?
The total project cost to construct the amphitheater park project is approximately $10 million. The City received $5 million of State bonding funds and the City will use $5 million of its local option sales tax funds to pay for the project. No property tax funds will be used to construct the amphitheater park project.
Where can I find out more information?
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Meredith Lyon at 229.3687 or Meredith.Lyon@ci.waitepark.mn.us.